Tuesday 27 May 2014

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Hello!
How's it hanging?

It's been a while since I've posted about a book. So after re-watching LOTR and The Hobbit. I decided to reread them. I first read them when I was in high school but I never owned a copy. When two of my friends and I failed to watch The Amazing Spiderman 2 in 4DX at the Bonifacio High Street Cinema (they were sold out for the day and it was just the second screening, boo!) we headed, or I dragged them, to Fullybooked. I ended up buying The Hobbit and The 50 Year Anniversary of Doctor Who. Got a discount too because my friend has a discount card!

My own copy finally!

Anyway, The Hobbit is the prequel to the LOTR Trilogy. Despite its movie being a trilogy, The Hobbit is only one book. It tells the back story of how Bilbo Baggins came into possession the One Ring. J.R.R. Tolkien actually revised the part where Bilbo was able to acquire the Ring from Gollum. 

I find entertaining, like it exudes a sing-song feel to it when I read. The story is straightforward but still manages to describe Middle Earth rather well. And the way the story is narrated shows J.R.R. Tolkien's storytelling prowess. Oh! How he empathises with Bilbo's misfortunes and how he  tells one thing but decides to tell more about it in the following chapters. What I love personally is the part where, despite his hesitations, Bilbo went off to an adventure (no thanks to our ever scheming Grey Wizard). And he always seems to end up from one misadventure to the next. 

There were a lot of differences in the movie (there always are, of course). But I wouldn't tell you what they are because I don't want to spoil the excitement of finding them out on your own. One thing I can tell you though is that there are more funny moments in the book than the movie (but I still did enjoy watching the film version). It's one of the books I'll never get bored reading over and over. 

If you want to borrow my copy and happen to live nearby, just drop me a message and I'll be more than glad to lend it to you.


Until the next book,
Sammy~♫

No comments:

Post a Comment